Tuesday 28 May 2013

Big and Little

I have made a commitment. To myself. To write something every day that muses on a "big" life theme or philosophy and alternate that with an observation on a "little" thing that made me smile or a great story I heard from someone else. So today I am starting "big".

Spurred by a combination of a conversation/observation of an event with a family member yesterday and a self assessment of my style on Adam Grant's website: http://www.giveandtake.com/ I have been thinking about what it means to give and persevere in giving without expecting anything in return.

I think part of it has to do with your natural personality - there are those of us in the world that can't help themselves. And sometimes it feels like a curse. Every once in a while you just want it to boomerang back to you - all the time and effort and thoughtfulness and helping and money and planning and, and, and...

As givers I think we just need to let go and embrace it - and that does not translate to letting people walk all over you, or saying "yes" to everything that is asked of you. What we have to remember is that we can be in control of our own giving. It is us that determines what we decide to give even though for the most part that will be a lot!

Letting go also means not getting frustrated with those who are not natural givers. The world needs receivers too or to whom would we give? And get it out of your head that some receivers are more deserving than others - it doesn't matter - ultimately you are really doing this for you. Because to do so is to be true to yourself.

“I slept and I dreamed that life is all joy. I woke and I saw that life is all service. I served and I saw that service is joy.” - Kahlil Gibran

I am planning on reading Mr. Grant's book - and I am sure I will have more to say on this topic in the future.

No comments: